FreeBSD Cert

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun May 31 12:22:07 UTC 2020

Allow me to comment on just one aspect of your message:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 22:16:42 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> Just a general comment on the "no top posting" "rule" that FreeBSD has no
> one else has such a rule [...]

It's not a rule, it's a recommendation, and there are valid reasons
for this. In many cases, mailing list archives serve as a reference,
and therefore it's helpful to be able to get the desired information
from "the final message" which still contains the initial problem
description. Less complex things surely can be discussed in a
top-posting manner, but more complex things, especially those
that discuss _more than one_ thing in _one_ message, really benefit
from inline posting. And as you can see from my current message,
I can even write something at the top, but not the statement that
refers to what you said at the bottom of your message I am replying
to. :-)

> [...] and many mail clients do top posting by default
> and make interleaving non-trivial (such OP's it appears).

You say this as if it was something good... ;-)

> Additionally
> there is enough top posting being done on today's Internet that everyone
> should be familiar with it and know how to read it in context.

As I said, it's more _complex_ to read top-posted messages,
especially those that do not contain reply headers and reply
indentation. The "who said what" question cannot be answered
easily, and you cannot easily follow a discusstion _thread_
with top posting. Others say it's unnatural, and just because
some half-baked MUA started with top-posting as a default, it
didn't improve anything.

I'd like to leave those here: