rsync counts not identical

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun May 31 03:12:21 UTC 2020

> On 5/30/20, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 May 2020 21:11:49 -0400, David Mehler wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using rsync on two FreeBSD servers to send files and
>>> subfolders from one to the other. The command I'm using is

rsync -avz /path/of/first/system/folder/ /path/of/second/system/folder/

On 2020-05-30 19:43, David Mehler wrote:

> Thanks, I did a

du -sh

> on both source and destination directories.

Your rsync(1) command is not deleting files on the destination that do
not exist on the source.  See the various '--delete' options.  You might
have leftover files or directories on the destination that do not exist
on the source.

Your du(1) command is displaying disk usage, not apparent size.  See the
'-A' option.  It is unlikely that UFS and ZFS will use the exact same
amount of disk space for the same content.

David