FreeBSD Cert

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Thu May 28 18:16:52 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 1:35 PM Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions <
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Simple dictionaries don't care that much about style.
>
> I can see Valeri's point, but I'm amused about the bikeshed.
>
> However, I read "coder" way more often than "programmer" on computer
> and/or audio related mailing lists and forums and Dict confirms that
> both are allegedly correct translations for "Programmierer".
>
> https://www.dict.cc/?s=Programmierer

> English                           │Deutsch
> ──────────────────────────────────┼────────────────────────
> programmer                        │Programmierer {m}
> coder                             │Programmierer {m}
> programer [Am.]                   │Programmierer {m}
> computer programmer [jobs] [comp.]│Programmierer {m}
> programmers                       │Programmierer {pl}

Don't trust lay person literal translations and/or dictionaries when
dealing with jargon terms (it will almost always get you in trouble and/or
make you look an idiot).   A better way of finding put the difference would
of been something like the following google search
https://www.google.com/search?q=programmer+vs.+coder

> In Germany it's inappropriate to say "Mucke" instead of "Musik", but a
> lot of people don't care and call it "Mucke". At least Dict mentions
> "ugs." = "colloquial". For "coder" there's no such hint as "coll." or
> "vulg." or something else.

An example of in experienced translation going from English to German (one
of my close friends is German and allows me to try awful and clueless
translations sometimes on them) is if railway is eisenbahn then why is
(auto) high way not autoeisen.   Of course my understand of German is very
limited and was quickly corrected with him explaining bahn meant "broad
path" and eisen is iron and thus both terms made sense as being Xbahn not
eisenX.

Saying coder instead of programmer (or developer) is the same kind of
translation problem.