FreeBSD Cert

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed May 27 18:36:32 UTC 2020

On Wed, 27 May 2020 17:03:29 +0000, Brandon helsley wrote:
>Excuse me could you clarify I didn't catch that

IMHO it's quite irrelevant given that you described yourself as "I
don't know anything about computers but got freebsd as a project to
learn as much as possible".

If you official maintain software for an operating system you not only
need to be _familiar_ with the operating system, you also need to chase
after the source code, if upstream discontinues a project and somebody
forks it or upstream migrated from one software hosting service to
another and there are few additional things to do, that are very time
consuming and that have nothing to do with becoming familiar with the
operating system.

You are interested in networking? Search
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ for the
term "network".

Learn how to read man(ual) pages, such as

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?ls

or

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=tcsh&sektion=1&manpath=freebsd-release-ports

man pages are the build in manual, but for a newbie the man pages are
not easy to understand.

Apropos shells:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/linux-users/shells.html
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/shells.html

Learning by doing. Start a simple project. Kind of an advanced "Hello,
World!" script that has something to do with your interests, maybe
networking, instead of a program,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Hello,_World!%22_program .