nvi expandtab - tabs to spaces

Ottavio Caruso ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 15:08:50 UTC 2020

On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 14:48, Derek (freebsd lists)
<482254ac at razorfever.net> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> After all these years, I'm finally wanting to switch tabs to spaces for
> certain documents (yaml comes to mind, python another), but I'm finding
> the FreeBSD nvi lacks expandtab, yet OpenBSD's (as of 6.7) supports this
> option.
>
> What is the canonical way to use space indentation in FreeBSD's nvi?
>
> Is there any appetite (from committers) for a patch/import of the
> feature from OpenBSD?

What version of vi is on OpenBSD 6.7? On my 6.6 [Version 1.79
(10/23/96)] the expandtab is not available, but on NetBSD 9.0 [Version
(1.81.6-2013-11-20nb4], it is.

Be careful importing features from the 1.xx branch to the 2.x.x., the
one in FreeBSD.

--
Ottavio Caruso