installation of 12.1R and 11.3R fails

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat May 23 20:04:52 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-23 02:01, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
 > [Zeroing the disk] is exactly what I found when going from Linux to
FreeBSD.  Just run

On 2020-05-23 08:06, Donald Wilde wrote:
 > The MBR boot after wiping the disk was successful. YAY, Beasties! TYVM
 > for all the advice. :D
 >
 > Taking your thought to heart, D'Arcy, I'm going to try again with GPT
 > now that Linux is gone, gone, gone! :D

I'm glad the BIOS/ MBR install worked.  :-)

That looks like a decent daily driver laptop, especially if you maxed
out the RAM and installed a good SSD:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-aUlCTHJhMTkzWUs5S1dMQjN2WGdIdz090/overview

My 2007 Inspiron E1505 gave me many years of service (with repairs and
upgrades).  It still works.

I zero my USB flash drives before burning them with an installer image
out of sheer OCD, but it should not be required.  (I wrote a Perl script
to only write zeros to dirty blocks, to conserve write cycles.)

Most every x86 computer made in the last 30 years will have a USB port.
Many newer computers, especially portable computers, do not have optical
drives.

It is easy to make changes to an installer on a USB flash drive, and you
don't have to burn a disc for every edit-compile-test cycle.  I hacked
my FreeBSD USB installer to slice and partition system disks the way I
like them.

I have boogered installs many ways, including the hostname, FQDN,
network name, and/or network settings.  The FreeBSD installer offers you
a root shell into the installed image near the end.  If you know what
file(s) to edit, you can fix those mistakes.  Alternatively, some
installers let you re-run specific steps.  TIMTOWDI.

I image my system disks regularly.  Zero-filling them before an install
saves image storage space.  Partition editors within installers
typically do not zero-fill.  (I need to figure out how to zero unused
blocks beneath GELI and ZFS prior to imaging; does anyone know how?)

David