(character) Conversion error (in vi) ?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat May 16 23:33:53 UTC 2020

In message <06696e14-e7e5-f212-4ef0-b89e7e78cde5 at fastmail.com>,
Yuri Pankov <ypankov at fastmail.com> wrote:

>I'm interested in more details on this as I could be somewhat involved
>(see PR 202290).  What release did you upgrade from/to?  Could you
>provide a simple test case that shows the issue?

Yuri,

I've just read PR 202290 and I have added to it a one line attachment
which is a test case that demonstrates the issue/problem I have been
experiencing, which sounds like it is most probably the same issue
as in PR 202290.  (But I would like your opinion on that.)

The test case is just a From: line from am email sent to me by a
european correspondant of mine.  (Note that I use NHM as a mail
client, and that it in turn invokes vi to edit new outbound
messages and replies, which is where I frequently encounter this
issue/problem.)

I'm too embarassed to tell you what versions of FreeBSD I last did
an upgrade from.  Let's just say that it was certifiably ancient.
My last full upgrade was to 12.0-RELEASE and that date on my local
vi is as follows:

-r-xr-xr-x  6 root  wheel  461872 Dec  6  2018 /usr/bin/vi

I guess that I simply need to upgrade that in order to get your
fix for this issue (?)

(Yes, I tend to be altogether too lax in keeping this particular
system upgraded.)