Incomplete installation of 12.1-R on an Asus laptop

salvatorembartolotta at libero.it salvatorembartolotta at libero.it
Tue May 12 12:56:11 UTC 2020

> Il 12 maggio 2020 alle 13.49 Vincent DEFERT <20.100 at defert.com> ha scritto:
>

> Is dual-boot a requirement or would installing FreeBSD on a USB drive
> also do?
> It is much simpler and much less risky but the performance is not the same.

My idea is: OSes on the (internal) nvd0 (SSD) disk for performance reasons; data on external devices e.g. HDDs, SSDs, M-disks (local archive), USB sticks, clouds,...

The risks, for my system, were very, very low.  As a matter of fact, I hadn't modified the EFI partition, and the original installation was almost complete.  The final step is perhaps the most dangerous.

I solved the problem myself, thanks to Per Hedeland's suggestion, trivially carrying out that final step, and have already posted to -questions the no frills "solution".