Microsoft Teams for Linux

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Tue May 12 11:11:28 UTC 2020

On Tue, 12 May 2020 12:04:27 +0200, Maciej Suszko commented:
>On 5/8/20 10:46 PM, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
>
>[ c u t ]
>
>> Maybe if software vendors cared more about open standards, testing
>> and support for Open-Source platforms, instead "works for me buy my
>> stuff" or "time to market test on users or forget" shortcuts, we
>> would not have such problems like the videoconferencing just showed
>> up two days ago.
>>
>> I guess there may be a positive outcome if there is a strong demand
>> and push from Open-Source community. We can make things work with a
>> bit of support and good will from vendor. We all know how it works
>> but I send good wishes so it happens :-)
>
>I do not insist using Open Source or open standards everywhere, I'm not
>idealist. The problem with Microsoft is they tell everyone you can you
>their services over the web, which is not true... I pay for the service
>but can't use it - that's sick. I would understand if desktop
>application would be the only solution to use the service, but it's
>not. Why MacOS is supported and everything can work here? Same case
>with Netflix - I pay for the service, it's web-based but there is no
>DRM plugins for our environment, so you can't use it. If there would
>be an app and that would be the only way to use the service - it's
>fair.
>
>The question is why "all" the providers do not want to support FreeBSD,
>is it really such a nightmare to compile some source and give a binary
>to people? I'm sure this is the best community willing to help, but I'm
>also sure there is plenty of Linuxism in our world and it can be the
>problem.... Maybe we need to have some sort of developer toolkit for
>software providers, to make their life easier building stuff for
>FreeBSD.

As for the first part of your question, are you using? I assume you did
check out this URL:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/get-clients

It is my understanding that FreeBSD does not support Google Chrome.
That is not Microsoft's fault. That is a failure on the part of
FreeBSD. You should be taking the problem up with them, or perhaps
Google. Whether there is no one willing to maintain the port, or a
systemic failure on the part of FreeBSD is the real question here.
Maybe FreeBSD did something to piss Google off. I don't know or care.
The bottom line is this in not Microsoft's fault.

To address the second portion of your post, I had a telephone
conversation several years ago with a technician from 'Brother USA.'
Yes, it regarded printer support. I wanted to know precisely why they
wrote drivers, etcetera for Linus, Debian, Mac, and I think one other
besides mobile. In any case, he told me he uses Linux at home and likes
it. He went on to say to me that writing for FreeBSD is not easy
because:

1) They don't follow standards. I assume he meant 'Linux" standards, so
I didn't press the issue.

2) He claimed that the expense of maintaining a complete set of tools
for FreeBSD would not be cost-effective. He said that it had been
determined that FreeBSD was too much of a niche operation to make it
profitable.

3) He also went on to say that FreeBSD, when compared to Microsoft or
Linux or MAC, was considered too decentralized.

While I realize that your problem does not pertain to printer support,
I believe my answer does, at least to some extent, attempt to address
your concerns.

As I stated in a previous reply to one of your posts, if you are
willing to create a detailed report of the problems you are having and
the applications you are using, version numbers, etcetera, I will be
happy to forward it onto the MS Teams technical support crew, assuming
you do not want to do so yourself.

--
Jerry