Microsoft Teams for Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat May 9 18:02:21 UTC 2020

On Sat, 9 May 2020 12:52:03 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>Steve Jobs believed deeply in his own capacity to define new products
>that customers did not even know they wanted, in the process
>overturning other real markets in, for example, personal computers,
>music, cell phones, tablet computing and animated movies.
>
>Can you imagine where we would be today if someone with a set of balls
>hadn't pushed the limits. Hell, he erased them.

Gates and Jobs were not the creators of almost all those ideas, they
were in the right place, at the right time and had good luck with
personal circumstances, start-up capital. They were more ambitious
businessmen than all those old inflexible businessman who were children
of their times. Without Gates and Jobs somebody else with similar
good luck would have grabbed the chances. This would have been bad for
Steve Wozniak, but unlikely would have much impact on what we can
consume nowadays. Without Albert Einstein we probably wouldn't have
some of or new technology, such as GPS. I doubt that Jobs is that
important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface#History

Actually my most important computer tool is an iPadPro. It's very good
for artwork, but very bad for Internet usage. Most consumers are
probably using their iPads mostly for Internat access, a domain that
works way better when using a FreeBSD, Linux or Windows PC.

You are right, they started selling products to users, who didn't know
they want to have those products. Because a lot of people buy those
products for usages that hardly work, as lifestyle products, the
devices became less expensive, so a minority of nice users, such as
artists, are able to get tools, that would cost more, without that sales
strategy. My guess is, that somebody else soon or later would have done
the same as Gates and Jobs, with equal success.