Testing RAM

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri May 8 17:38:16 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 6:06 AM Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My motherboard does not have a physical RAM tester in BIOS does FreeBSD
> have any way (base system or ports) of doing a comprehensive test of each
> RAM address for hardware/other low level faults?

Thanks to everyone who suggested sysutils/memtest86+.   Only problem I
can't get it to work.  I built from ports and put ISO (and in a second
attempt the "bootable" binary) onto a USB with dd(1) but all attempts at
booting failed.  I also attempted the two methods suggested in the
pkg-message it and both failed:

1. at boot prompt (before boot menu) attempting to load it caused a boot
loader panic
2. Doing: unload, load /boot/opt/memtest86+ caused a instant reboot