SSD woes - boot

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Thu May 7 09:16:35 UTC 2020

Today I went into my local computer store and bought me a new SATA cable. Connected the Kingston SSD with the new cable and
it got recognized immediately.

Anyway, I booted, but still hit the wrong disk (with F5 which was preset). I hit F1. Got into the FreeBSD boot(8) prompt

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)
boot:
After some fiddling - ? gave me a directory listing but could not much do with that - I found that everything I typed, like lsdev,
ended up in being appended to the Default line, like:

Default: 0:ad(0,a)lsdev

So I type /boot/loader and - voila - I hit it, landed exactly in the desired disk/partition.

Now I got to figure out the UUID labeling thing - maybe :)

—
Christoph