Brother HL-L2340D printer and lpd?

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Wed May 6 11:14:36 UTC 2020

Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
> On 2020-05-05 14:01, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>
> > A PostScript translator (GhostScript or any other) can be expected to
> > "raster" the PS input incorrectly if this input contains encodings it does
> > not understand, or glyphs/fonts it is lacking.
> >
> > I've seen so many problems with Cyrillic in my life, believe me. I've
> > seen PDFs with some Cyrillic glyphs replaced by garbage, and much more
> > of such weird stuff than I wish to see.
>

> It would be nice if you could send plain Unicode to a printer. Ideally, I
> guess, either compressed or not -- UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32. I don't expect
> it to happen.

For the present, I'd be even happy to be able to convert KOI8-R Russian
Cyrillic to PostScript or PDF, even this is not happening.

Even vim's "hardcopy" feature produces PostScript with missing symbols
instead of Russian ones.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/