Brother HL-L2340D printer and lpd?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue May 5 19:29:08 UTC 2020

On Tue, 5 May 2020 14:21:35 -0400
Kurt Hackenberg <kh at panix.com> wrote:

> On 2020-05-05 06:25, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>
> > ...or doing what I do to support a Brother inkjet and run a CUPS
> > server under Linux (well actually a jail with a Linux userland) and
> > CUPS clients on the FreeBSD boxes.
>
> There's a FreeBSD port for CUPS, so maybe you don't need to run part of
> Linux just for that.

	I know and in theory (some people have apparently managed it) you
can install the Brother drivers, including the critical Linux binary that
takes a pnm from ghostscript and sends it to the printer, in the right
places to make it work and all the config that tells CUPS how to use it. I
spent a week or so trying to make it work before taking the path of least
resistance and installing something the Brother installer could cope with.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>