Brother HL-L2340D printer and lpd?

Jacques Foucry jacques+freebsd at foucry.net
Tue May 5 11:05:02 UTC 2020

Le mardi 05 mai 2020 à 11:25:01 (+0100), Steve O'Hara-Smith à écrit:
> On Tue, 5 May 2020 05:47:29 -0400
> Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
> > In any case, this will only assist you with printing. All of the other
> > functions that are readily available on a Windows machine are usually
> > cloaked away from FreeBSD operators. Brother does supply some utilities
> > for Linux and Debian, but not FreeBSD.
>
> 	Right here you describe the crux of the problem - Windows does not
> support a million printers and scanners perfectly, manufacturers go to great
> lengths to support Windows, some lengths to support IOS and Android, lesser
> lengths to support Linux desktops and generally no effort whatsoever to
> support anything else.
>
> 	This is of course a perfectly valid commercial standpoint.
>
> 	The sad truth is that if you use something that the printer
> manufacturers are not willing to go to great lengths to support then you
> are best looking to more expensive equipment that supports documented
> standards and using it, or doing what I do to support a Brother inkjet and
> run a CUPS server under Linux (well actually a jail with a Linux userland)
> and CUPS clients on the FreeBSD boxes.
>
> 	Yes it is a pain - but suggesting that the FOSS community has put
> insufficient effort into achieving the impossible is not reasonable. If the
> market is too small to be worthwhile for the manufacturers to support and
> they are unwilling to release detailed documentation then nobody can do
> anything about it.

In fact the "Linux community" reproduice de same errors as the "windwos
commutiy" does.

We (the FreeBSD users) are, as you saird a very small part of unix user. And
many, many people knows "Linux" but does not إave a single idea about "Unix".
Worst, some knows "debian" and that all, they cannot use another distro so let
imagine using another Unix like system (*BSD, Solaris, AІX, HP-UX or even
OSX).

That the same for manufæcturer, they are mainћtream, Microsoft's products first,
then Apple's products, may be Linux product… and that all.

--
Jacques Foucry