Networking Routing Firewalling

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Tue May 5 05:44:44 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:39 PM Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't always get a response but while I'm getting a little more familiar
> with networking and jails, especially from absolute freebsd and these
> mailing lists I thought I would ask a few questions.
>
> First of all, what are some beginner networking tasks I could complete
> while getting familiar?

This is a advanced beginner project but might be a good goal to strive for
since it will demostrate the full power of networking and segmenting your
machine into several "machines".   Note you should only do this if you have
4 or more cores, more then 4 GB of RAM and 100+ GB of disk available:

Set up and configure the following virtual machines using byhve:

    File/Print/DNS server running FreeBSD
    A Linux machine that uses shared (with the server above) set of common
home directories (via NFS)
    A Windows machine that has access the home directories on the server
above (via CIFS/Samba)

> Second, if I'm only using one network interface card at a time, are there
> still networking tasks I can complete and build a stronger connection to
> the internet with?

The above setup does just that.