missing X11 mouse cursor w. FreeBSD 12.1 (GhostBSD 20.03)

Michael Schuster michaelsprivate at gmail.com
Tue May 5 05:40:00 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have an ancient Lenovo T60(p?) with a radeon graphics adapter (ATI
Mobility FireGL V5250) that I installed the latest build of GhostBSD
(20.03, uses FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE) on.

With the radeon driver (xf86-video-amdgpu-19.1.0_1), display resolution
seems right, but the mouse cursor isn't visible.
In /var/log/messages, I see tons of "error:
[drm:pid2974:radeon_crtc_cursor_move] *ERROR* radeon_crtc_cursor_move:
x(-1) < 0" messages (w/o newline, in case that matters).

I installed drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221, which did the trick once (but
that installation had to be removed after an update that caused a kernel
crash at boot); this time round, it doesn't seem to be working, so this may
be a necessary but not sufficient element.

from rc.conf:
kld_list="linux linux64 cuse /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

I've done quite a bit of searching, so far w/o success ...
Does anyone have suggestions for me how to get the cursor back? I'd really
like to stick to BSD (ZFS alone is worth the effort, and if I get boot
environments sorted out too, so much the better!) ...

TIA
Michael
--
Michael Schuster