Learning about FreeBSD

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sat May 2 18:47:09 UTC 2020

On 5/2/20 14:18, Brandon helsley wrote:
> Is the handbook the only resource for learning freebsd? I wanted to know if there's such thing as mentors to teach certain stuff, like how I saw in the articles section on their website about port mentor and mentee.

For starting with FreeBSD, I would actually recommend Michael W. Lucas,
Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD over the handbook.  Make
sure to get the 3rd edition if you're going to do this.  I personally
use the handbook when I want to read up on the latest thinking regarding
a specific topic, but tend to read other things when looking for the
high-level view to get started.

Note that Michael also has a series of focused, shorter books on topics
such as ZFS and jails that go into greater depth but are still works
that I would consider to be accessible to the motivated sysadmin with at
least a bit of Unix experience.  This is particularly true if you pay
attention to the author's recommended sequence for reading some of the
books.

Fundamentally, however, my real recommendation would be to install
FreeBSD, either on hardware that's free for experimentation or a VM or
two or three....and make it do something amusing, useful, or
interesting.  There's nothing like repeatedly breaking an install of an
OS, and then fixing it, to teach yourself.

And if you have very specific questions about weirdness you can't find
documented or figure out for yourself, you can always come back to this
list and ask questions.

--
--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com