Kernel build - makecleandepend unknown

Trond Endrestøl trond.endrestol at ximalas.info
Sat May 2 11:44:51 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2 May 2020 13:31+0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> While chasing my sym0 problem I thought of building a GENERIC kernel with ncr enabled although it is said that sym comprised newer and older chipsets. Anyway, I’m getting this:
>
> # config GENERIC_NCR
> Kernel build directory is ../compile/GENERIC_NCR

At this point you shuld be in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf.
cd ../compile/GENERIC_NCR as instructed, and you should now be in
/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/GENERIC_NCR.

> Don't forget to do ``make cleandepend && make depend''
> # cd ..
> # cd compile
> # make cleandepend && make depend
> make: don't know how to make cleandepend. Stop
>
> make: stopped in /usr/src/sys/amd64/compile

You're building the kernel the old-fashioned way:

cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/GENERIC_NCR
make cleandepend && make depend && make

I like to set the KERNCONF variable in /etc/src.conf and/or on the
commandline, and do the build from /usr/src:

make -C /usr/src buildkernel

or:

make -C /usr/src KERNCONF=ZFS buildkernel

If the kernel is compiled the new and preferred way, you install it by
running:

make -C /usr/src installkernel

or:

make -C /usr/src KERNCONF=ZFS installkernel

DESTDIR may be set on the commandline to point to the desired rootfs.

--
Trond.