Updating from 11.3-stable to 12.1-stable?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat May 2 05:22:46 UTC 2020

On Fri, 1 May 2020 23:38:22 -0400, Janos Dohanics wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 16:27:54 -0500
> Bob Willcox <bob at immure.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, here are the steps that I took to upgrade my 11.3-STABLE system
> > to 12.1-STABLE. May not be the best/most efficient but they worked
> > for me and I thought someone else may benefit from them.
> >
> > 1)  Make a backup of the current system
> > 2)  Delete everything in /usr/src, making certin to remove the files
> > and directories that start with a dot (".").
> > 3)  Delete everything in /usr/obj.
> > 4)  Download (via svn) the new FreeBSD release /usr/src to be updated
> > to.
> > 5)  Build the new world from the source.
> > 6)  Build the new kernel from the source.
> > 7)  Run "mergemaster -Fp" to update files that may be needing update
> > prior to doing the installworld.
> > 8)  Run "make installworld" in /usr/src.
> > 9)  Run "make installkernel" in /usr/src.
> > 10) [...]
>
> Steps 8) and 9) appear to be in the wrong order:
>
> According to
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/makeworld.html the
> correct order is:
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # shutdown -r now
> # make installworld

Interestingly, this chapter of the handbook does not mention
going into single-user mode anymore, while /usr/src/Makefile
(comment header) and /usr/src/UPDATING (near bottom) still do.
Such a significant difference in documentation should deserve
further investigation...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany