Mounting SD-card in my camera

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Sat May 2 05:04:48 UTC 2020

On 5/1/20 5:07 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
> On Fri, 1 May 2020, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> On 5/1/20 4:23 AM, Morten Bo Johansen via freebsd-questions wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I just wonder why it does not work with my camera. It works with
>>> no problem in Linux.
>>
>> Cards <= 32 are formatted with FAT, those greater get ExFAT and
>> must be mounted using fuse.
>
> Maybe so for Morten's camera, but it's not universally true. I have
> put FAT32 and ufs filesystems on SD cards larger than 32G.
>
> I believe "modern" digital cameras are designed to use PTP, which
> means using something along the lines of gphoto. It could be that
> Morten's Linux distribution comes with a PTP client.

I can't speak to universality, or modern.  My Olympus EM1-MkII
creates exFat for cards >32G, and won't use a card with a
FAT32 > 32G.

Windows generally won't format a >32G card with FAT32, and uses
exFAT for that; maybe because of the FAT32 4G limit on file size.
I think I saw something about it is *possible* to do a big FAT32
format on windows but it requires something other than the default;
the default only gives a choice of exFAT or NTFS.

In my (limited) experience the whole thing is quite a can of worms.
My experience is that to be safe one probably wants something
compatible with what win10 does.  As others have pointed out in
other threads, it's probably best to format a camera card in
the camera.  Assuming the camera formats cards >32G with exFAT, one
would need to use fusefs.exfat to mount them on fbsd; or at least
that was my takeaway after a lot of struggling.

Thanks for the PTP reference.
It's unclear to me how to get gphoto2 to work, even though the
cameras page says it supports my camera.  When plugged into a USB
port and turned on, the camera shows options of:
   Storage, MTP, PC RAW, <glyph of computer to camera>, Print,
   PCM Recorder, Exit
I tried Storage, MTP, PC RAW, and <glyph ...> each with
"gphoto2 --auto-detect" and gphoto2 never found it.
Will try to get something from the gphoto mailing list.

Gary