Mounting SD-card in my camera

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Fri May 1 17:13:23 UTC 2020

On 5/1/20 4:23 AM, Morten Bo Johansen via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On 2020-05-01 Manish Jain wrote:
>
>> Hi Morten,
>>
>> 1) It would be useful if you could provide the output of :
>> `gpart show da0`
>
> It says:
>
>    gpart: No such geom: da0
>
>> 2) Is it possible for you to take the SD card out of the camera, insert
>> it into a USB SD card reader, and attach the card reader to the system ?
>
> Great idea, why didn't I think about that ...;) Yes I can plug
> the card into a USB card reader and it is automounted with no
> problem. The device subnode /dev/da0s1 is also created on this
> occasion.
>
> With the card reader the output from gpart is
>
>     $ gpart show da0
>     =>       63  124735425  da0  MBR  (59G)
>              63      32705       - free -  (16M)
>           32768  124702720    1  ntfs  (59G)
>
> I just wonder why it does not work with my camera. It works
> with no problem in Linux.

Cards <= 32 are formatted with FAT, those greater get ExFAT and
must be mounted using fuse.

Camera SD cards normally use msdosfs:
     mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
However...
   SD cards >32GB are formatted exFAT
     Need to use fuse to mount:
       /boot/loader.conf or /boot/loader.conf.local:
         fuse_load="YES"
       /etc/rc.conf:
         fusefs_enable="YES"
       kldstat should show fuse.ko loaded