FreeBSD-speedometer?

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Fri May 1 14:42:56 UTC 2020

> Am 01.05.2020 um 15:31 schrieb Matthias Gamsjager <mgamsjager at gmail.com>:
>

> On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 12:33, Christoph Kukulies <kuku at kukulies.org <mailto:kuku at kukulies.org>> wrote:
>

>> Am 01.05.2020 um 12:03 schrieb Matthias Gamsjager <mgamsjager at gmail.com <mailto:mgamsjager at gmail.com>>:
>>

>> Spend 160$/mth.?
>>
>> For the free testing period you just get 512MB of Ram and 1 CPU.
>>

>> I though you wanted to know the build times. You have to turn off the instance after the test. Should cost less then a cup of coffee.
>
> I don’t get how I could get to know the build times if I wouldn’t actually build it on a configured machine. And everything larger than that minimum configuration costs $, or am I overlooking sth.?
>
>> Christoph
>

> Well my idea was to build it and time it on a AWS instance. And yes, that costs money but you pay per second so it should not exceed  2h to test different builds. It depends on what instance type what the costs will be of course.
> But it would be a fair price to see if an investment in a new machine with X cpu is worth it. If that is what you are after.
>

> Am 01.05.2020 um 15:31 schrieb Matthias Gamsjager <mgamsjager at gmail.com>:
>

> On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 12:33, Christoph Kukulies <kuku at kukulies.org <mailto:kuku at kukulies.org>> wrote:
>

>> Am 01.05.2020 um 12:03 schrieb Matthias Gamsjager <mgamsjager at gmail.com <mailto:mgamsjager at gmail.com>>:
>>

>> Spend 160$/mth.?
>>
>> For the free testing period you just get 512MB of Ram and 1 CPU.
>>

>> I though you wanted to know the build times. You have to turn off the instance after the test. Should cost less then a cup of coffee.
>
> I don’t get how I could get to know the build times if I wouldn’t actually build it on a configured machine. And everything larger than that minimum configuration costs $, or am I overlooking sth.?
>
>> Christoph
>

> Well my idea was to build it and time it on a AWS instance. And yes, that costs money but you pay per second so it should not exceed  2h to test different builds. It depends on what instance type what the costs will be of course.
> But it would be a fair price to see if an investment in a new machine with X cpu is worth it. If that is what you are after.

I have no idea how to „rent“ CPU time secondwise on AWS other than registering and configuring e.g. a 12.1 FreeBSD machine. I went to lengthy application process where I had to give credit card info, phone number etc. and it ended up in having  a choice of testing (free of charge) a wimpy machine 1 vCPU, 512MB Ram, 20GB SSD. Everything else would cost up to 160$ (8vCPUs).

In the past, 25 years back, I only used to build ports. So that’s what I’m used to :)

And installing VirtualBox on FreeBSD doesn’t seem to be a snap.

—
Christoph