Xdm var/log/xdm.log

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 1 13:17:31 UTC 2020

On Fri, 1 May 2020 07:56:27 -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> Polytropon writes:
>
> >  > >  > Ok, I will add xsession.
> >  > >
> >  > >  NB: .xsession (the dot is significant).
> >  > >
> >  > >  Or you can do the following, as you said you already have
> >  > >  a .xinitrc (which xdm will ignore, as mentioned):
> >  > >
> >  > >  	% cp .xinitrc .xsession
> >  >
> >  > 	From my home directory:
> >  >
> >  > lrwxrwxr-x   1 huff  huff         8 May  1 01:19 .xsession -> .xinitrc
> >  >
> >  > 	This implies you want the same environment from both.
> >
> >  Will usually work, but doesn't keep C shell initialization
> >  (environmental variables, aliases, settings), which might
> >  not be a problem if you're not using the C shell for dialog
> >  sessions or if you concentrate on GUI entirely. :-)
>
> 	Once	I start X, I do pretty much everything within it.  For the
> rest I console-switch.
> 	(And the first line of the file is "#! /bin/sh".  :-) )
> 	What is there that one might wish to do that can't be handled out
> of an xterm?

If I remember correctly, if you use xdm, and start an X terminal
inside the X session, your settings from .cshrc will not be in
effect due to the fact that the invoked shell is not a login shell.
So aliases don't work, environmental variables aren't set, and
so on. That's why the strange "source and continue" approach
in xdm's "user login" file.

If you login via console (ex. text mode) and then used "startx",
all C shell settings, already present due to being logged in with
a login shell, will be inherited by all C shell sessions launched
from within X (X terminals).

Keep in mind, this is "grown knowledge" decades old, so it
might be filed under "cargo cult". ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany