Strange bea│hio in daily messsges

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 1 03:16:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 12:22:03 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> It appears signal 10 is a bus error:
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/sys/signal.h

No need to reference external GitHub resources - the local
documentation provided by the OS has the required information.
>From "man 3 signal":

     No    Name         Default Action       Description

     10    SIGBUS       create core image    bus error

And there's always /usr/include/sys/signal.h containing the
same information. :-)

> This page clarifies the meaning of "bus error":
>
> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/segmentation-fault-sigsegv-vs-bus-error-sigbus/
>

> My guess would be the latter case -- unaligned memory access.  This
> could be a coding bug (struct not laid out for 64-bit architecture?) or
> a misconfigured compile (?).

Sometimes, defective RAM (or something related to RAM) also
leads to SIGBUS, but in most cases, that is more of a
"surprise error", rather than a "predictable error".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany