current best FreeBSD hosting services

Greg Veldman freebsd at gregv.net
Sun Mar 29 20:22:52 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 03:39:49PM -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> My company currently uses RootBSD and we are looking to deactivate our two
> servers there and consolidate them into one.   I decided at the same time
> to looking into other options.    We are looking for very basic hosting
> (i.e. we manage the machine [or vm] completely and they only supply the
> hardware and networking).   Currently we use the servers for cloud storage,
> a few very low traffic web sites (all running on www/tomcat9
> [java/openjdk8]) and DIY off site backups/cloud storage.    My guess is we
> need 2 cores, 4 GB of RAM and about 80 GB of disk to be safe and want to be
> running 12.1-RELEASE (amd64) on it but have the right to upgrade it
> ourselves.
>
> Suggestions?

Well, first off, based on your requirements it sounds like you
would be OK with VPS hosting, which will save you a bit of
money over bare metal.  Many bare metal providers offer the
ability to install your own system over an IP KVM, so running
whatever you want wouldn't be an issue.  On the VPS side, I
personally run my secondary DNS and MX servers at Vultr.  They
offer the same virtual KVM service, so you can put whatever you
like on your VM.  The also offer ready-to-install FreeBSD images
that are generally fairly up to date, and if you go that route
you really can have a system fully up and running in just a few
minutes.  Their network has also been pretty solid in my
experience, at least at the two locations I've had servers.

https://www.vultr.com

I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer.

--
Greg Veldman
freebsd at gregv.net