drive selection for disk arrays

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Thu Mar 26 22:20:35 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:02 PM Daniel Feenberg <feenberg at nber.org> wrote:

> The disturbing frequency of multiple drives going offline in quick
> succession is, in my view, largely a result of defects being discovered in
> quick succession, rather than occuring in quick succession.

That really got my attention, and I was guilty of thinking you were
committing
an epistemological error.  Fortunately I was wrong, and the universe
(esp. of disk arrays) is counter-intuitive...

--

"Well," Brahmā said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata