drive selection for disk arrays

Julien Cigar julien at perdition.city
Thu Mar 26 11:55:02 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 03:19:35PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> Jacques Foucry wrote:
>
> > ALWAYS (when it's possible) buy and use disks from different brand (mix
> > seagate, WD, etc..) in order to avoid same series and same MTBF.

Not always possible.. On some (?) HPE hardware (but not only?) using
Non-HPE drives make the fans to run at maximum speed (I guess it can't
read the drives temperatures).

> > I know this to late in this case, but keep this in mind.
> >
> > I know this will not help in this case, please excuse my
> > intervention if it's inappropriate.
>

> To date, most of my arrays have been composed of similar drives.  But, I run
> a SOHO LAN and have limited experience.  I have been wondering about using
> dissimilar drives to prevent simultaneous common-mode failures.
>

> Backblaze publishes statistics for individual drives:
>
> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/
>

> I would be curious to read any data or reports comparing arrays of similar
> drives vs. arrays of dissimilar drives.
>

> Have anyone seen a failure involving multiple similar drives all failing in
> the same mode at the same time?
>

> David

Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform (http://www.biodiversity.be)
PGP fingerprint: EEF9 F697 4B68 D275 7B11  6A25 B2BB 3710 A204 23C0