NodeJS on FreeBSD

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Mar 23 16:58:26 UTC 2020

On 3/20/20 9:40 PM, Ihor Antonov wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I have a need to run Javascript (NodeJS 12) application. Does anyone
> have experience running this on FreeBSD? Does NodeJS perform well/stable
> on FreeBSD? If so then please share your feedback.
I've used it (and periodically continue to do so) to run node services.
It is pretty stable and performant, unfortunately the upstream
development community has historically had a negative attitude towards
the BSD's which I think we've tried to address. i've been fortunate
enough to steer developers away from node.js as a server platform for
highly loaded systems though, as I find the debugging node apps to be
difficult in the best of times.

I also use it extensively for development workflows, for example
building webpack bundles which are distributed to webservers.  This
mostly just works except for the random npm package that is brain dead.

cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright