sane crashes

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Mar 23 02:42:57 UTC 2020

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 17:52:47 -0400, Vlad D. Markov via freebsd-questions wrote:
> I think something is broken in my rc subsystem.
>
> I got past the xsane issue using rc.local to start things.

This is possible, but should not be needed. Also note that
there _might_ be problems caused by the point in time during
the system startup process when /etc/rc.local is being
executed (things needed could be started _after_ it).

> Then I noticed other things like cupsd & privoxy would not start.
> So I went into debug mode and got this:
>
> root at happy:/var/log # grep cupsd messages
> Mar 22 17:34:59 happy root[1302]: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd:
> DEBUG: checkyesno: cupsd_enable is set to YES.
> Mar 22 17:34:59 happy root[1303]: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd:
> DEBUG: run_rc_command: start_precmd: cupsd_prestart
> Mar 22 17:34:59 happy root[1304]: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd:
> DEBUG: run_rc_command: doit:  limits -C daemon  /usr/local/sbin/cupsd
> Mar 22 17:37:57 happy root[1711]: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd:
> DEBUG: checkyesno: cupsd_enable is set to YES.
> root at happy:/var/log #  service cupsd status
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd: DEBUG: checkyesno: cupsd_enable is set to YES.
> cupsd is not running.r

That is a problem. Does the CUPS error log file contain anything
that is related?

> So I do this:
>
> root at happy:/var/log #  limits -C daemon  /usr/local/sbin/cupsd
> root at happy:/var/log # service cupsd status
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd: DEBUG: checkyesno: cupsd_enable is set to YES.
> cupsd is running as pid 1754.
>
> I am confused. It started via the terminal yet not via the script ( I think).

This looks wrong. Can you try re-installing CUPS & related
things? Usually, cupsd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf is fully
sufficient to get CUPS running. Maybe there is also something
wrong that similarly stops DBus from running?

It should not matter if CUPS is started interactively or by
the rc.d subsystem - at least not to CUPS...

If, by some reason, your OS is damaged, a re-installation (or
at least a repair) of the OS could help.

Also note the permissions advice from Paul Pathiakis: For testing,
prefix sane / xscanimage commands with "sudo"; if you get it working,
check the permissions. For example, /etc/devfs.rules can be
extended with a ruleset to give certain usb*, ulpt* and xpt* (!)
devices to the "cups" group in mode 0660; scanners could also
require the pass* devices, if I remember correctly.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany