sane crashes

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 22 16:36:19 UTC 2020

 Hi,
I have this running and there's a number of things that could be blocking it.
1) install hplip  (since it's an HP this is a very useful tool on a GUI)2) try running all the xsane commands as 'root' (scanimage, etc).  If they work, there's a problem with device permissions.3) if 2), you'll need to look at install info for xsane.  It will tell you all the things in devd.conf that need to be modified.
I have this running on an HP all-in-one wireless. (HP 4250 I think)  I also have the android interface running on my phones that allows me to print directly to the printer.
Also, try looking at the cups interface and verify that you can at least see the printer part of this.
It's, typically, located at http://localhost:631
Paul

    On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 10:24:59 AM EDT, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

 On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 09:30:38 -0400, Vlad D. Markov via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 18:43:07 -0400
> "Vlad D. Markov via freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 18:37:03 -0400
> > "Vlad D. Markov via freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >

> > > I am having some problems using sane for scanning.
> > >
> > > My version of FreeBSD:
> > > FreeBSD happy 12.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC  amd64
> > >
> > > My version of sane:
> > > happy$ scanimage -V
> > > scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.29; backend version 1.0.29
> > >
> > > I have tried multiple approaches to get things working:
> > >
> > > The scanner is an HP so I set the URI and tried:
> > >
> > > happy$ xsane "hpaio:/net/OfficeJet_Pro_6970?ip=192.168.1.37"
> > > Assertion failed: (p), function avahi_threaded_poll_lock, file thread-watch.c, line 171.
> > > Abort trap (core dumped)
> > >
> > > Next try:
> > >
> > > happy$ scanimage -L
> > > Assertion failed: (p), function avahi_threaded_poll_lock, file thread-watch.c, line 171.
> > > Abort trap
> > >
> > > Recompile minus Avahi:
> > > happy$ scanimage -L
> > > device `hpaio:/net/OfficeJet_Pro_6970?ip=192.168.1.37' is a Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet_Pro_6970 all-in-one
> > >
> > > Maybe this will help the next person.
> > >
> > > Vlad
> > >
> > Jumped the gun here. The last method also has an issue when doing a scan:
> >
> > happy$ dbus[8796]: arguments to dbus_connection_send() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 3311.
> > This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
> >
> >  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
> >

> avahi-daemon and dbusd weren't running. For some reason they didn't
> start via rc.conf.

Do you have dbus_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf file? Do the
system logs contain an error message about why DBus could not be
started? (If you're using Gnome, the related _enable variable
usually implies starting HAL and DBus.)

Reacting to a non-running DBus by core dumping doesn't look very
good... oh, and according to "man 8 avahi-daemon":

    Upon  startup    avahi-daemon  interprets  its      configuration      file
    /home/lennart/tmp/avahi/usr/local/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and reads
    XML fragments from /home/lennart/tmp/avahi/etc/avahi/services/*.service
    which  may define static    DNS-SD services.

Because /home/lennart/tmp is a standard system configuration
location present on every FreeBSD box... ;-)

Source:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=avahi-daemon

--
Polytropon