FreeBSD asking contributors to fix their opinions - is it official?

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Sat Mar 21 14:12:13 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 01:50:09PM +0000, Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm not affiliated to FreeBSD, but I see nothing wrong in a developer
> from another project posting onto a public mailing list of another
> project and voicing his concerns about a particular issue

Me neither - I am merely concerned that the particular issue is an
unspecified _personal opinion_. I see a lot of wrong in going around and
asking people to remove personal opinion in the name of a big Project.

This together with the fact that this ports page:

   https://www.freshports.org/devel/p5-Canary-Stability/

is not only full of personal opinion but, much worse, also of made-up
false claims should give you an idea of where we would be heading if we
tried to police all that.

> same time I think you are taking it a bit too personal. I've read [1]
> and I see nothing that induces to thinking he was speaking on behalf
> of the whole of FreeBSD.

Well, he has since pretty much clarified that he does and that the project
is fine with that, so my reading seemed to have been spot on.

      ----==-- _       generation
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de