SD card formatting

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Tue Mar 17 16:10:05 UTC 2020

On 3/17/20 8:30 AM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 00:37:21 +0100, Claude Buisson wrote:
>> On 2020-03-15 22:39, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> Your card with a capacity > 32GB must be formatted as exFAT
>>
>> The partition type seen by gpart is the same as NTFS
>>
>> man gpart
>>    ntfs      A partition that contains a NTFS or exFAT filesystem
>>
>> see also Bug 244461
>
> Excellent finding!
>
> I think this is the key to a solution. The remaining questions are:
>
> 1. How to mount exFAT on FreeBSD?
>
> I think I can answer that: A FUSE module is required. Install
> fusefs-exfat (and maybe exfat-utils) from the sysutils category
> to get mount.exfat and exfatfsck (if it should be needed).
> Inegration with /etc/fstab should be no problem.
>
> 2. How to initialize a exFAT SD card on FreeBSD?
>
> Probably with mkexfatfs from exfat-utils (as mentioned above).

Will try that.  However...
I've installed a huge amount of stuff from packages, and no package
exists for either fusefs-exfat or exfat-utils.  If I try to build
from ports, I run into a conflict with perl5:

===>  Patching for fusefs-exfat-1.2.8
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for fusefs-exfat-1.2.8
===>   fusefs-exfat-1.2.8 depends on package: autoconf>=2.69 - not found
===>  autoconf-2.69_2 Invalid perl5 version 5.30.

Is there a way around this other than building everything from ports?
except for distfiles, all the directories in my ports tree are 2019-07-04.
I *thought* they would be compatible with the installed os and packages.

FreeBSD breakaway.dreamchaser.org 11.3-RELEASE-p6

Gary