crash on login with mounted home drive

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Mar 16 10:22:29 UTC 2020

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 18:15:01 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 17:08:39 +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 17:05:06 +0100
> > Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> >
> > > I have _never_
> > > used /usr/home, and actually that directory doesn't even
> > > exist in my installations.
> >
> > 	It used to be common to have /usr was a filesystem but not /home
> > then /home was usually a symlink to /usr/home. FreeBSD used to install
> > that way.
>
> The default installation always had /usr/home (at least since
> I've been using FreeBSD). You could empty it and use it as a
> mount point for a 2nd disk (or a different partition on the
> system disk),

	You could or you could create a /home partition during install in
which case you didn't get the symlink or /usr/home.

> I think I understand this as a historic construct mainly due to
> smaller disks, that's why "functional partitioning" had been

	Many years ago I visited Altos in the UK and saw a machine one of
the guys there was building. It had four 8" floppies  /, /etc, /usr, /home,
you could hear the inode table seeks.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun