crash on login with mounted home drive

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Mar 15 16:05:20 UTC 2020

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 15:47:53 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 3/15/20 5:41 AM, ltcddata wrote:
> > Been using freebsd since 7.1, and by 7.2 added in a drive for /home/user
> > which has been fine. However I had to stop for around a year around
> > 10.2, but when I came back on 11.2 suddenly logging in with KDE/Gnome
> > XFCE would grind the computer to a halt and crash either during login or
> > within 30 seconds. This does not happen if I boot up using only the root
> > drive, and use the standard /home/user. Currently Mate is the only
> > desktop I have which works with a mounted /home/user drive, but does
> > anyone know what is causing this?
>
> No idea, but I run a similar setup.
>    /home is a symlink to /usr/home
> I had to manually change /usr/home to be a symlink to /mnt/home or
> equivalent where the disk is mounted.

I have always started with a "real" /home - either being
a top level entry on the / partition (the "all in one"
approach), or as a mountpoint for a 2nd disk (in that
case, /home was of course always empty). I have _never_
used /usr/home, and actually that directory doesn't even
exist in my installations. I also have a few systems that
stick to the Solarism (Solarisisim) of /export/home,
those are servers that export home directories to other
machines where /export/home gets mounted as /home; in
those cases, /usr/home also doesn't exist.

Not that I'm aware of any software that might _expect_
/usr/home to be present and populated, but it could be
possible... So having /usr/home "pointing back" to /home
(the mountpoint for a 2nd disk) will definitely deal with
the problem of /usr/home vs. /home that could lead to
"configuration file and path confusion". :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany