Centralized user/group/whatever management

Michael Howard sniffer at dewberryfields.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 08:30:24 UTC 2020

On 15/03/2020 06:17, Victor Sudakov wrote:

>>> So pam_winbind it is, if you want to use AD for user/group management?
>>> Does winbindd not crash any more under FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> Do you need to also enable winbind somehow in nsswitch.conf?

>>> I'll certainly look at it if I have to integrate FreeBSD into Windows AD.
>>>
>>> However first I'd like to find a free, open source solution for a
>>> Unix-only office. Hope it will not eventually come to buying a Windows
>>> server to manage Linux and FreeBSD workstations.
>>>
>> Samba is free and open source. Absolutely no need to buy MS Windows.
> What do you mean by "Samba" in this context? A centralized user/group
> management server? A centralized user/group management client?

Both of course. One without the other is not much use in your context.

You still leave yourself at the mercy of one of your original issues
with NIS and that is you need the server available over the network. I
doubt you'll find any system _without_ drawbacks but Samba is good and
free. It can be managed through a MS gui, albeit from a MS Windows based
PC and has a very large user base.