Shell

Donald Wilde dwilde1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 21:51:31 UTC 2020

On 6/29/20, Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley at hotmail.com> wrote:

> There has been a difference in the hash sign of the command line. When I'm
> logged in as user it is $. When I am logged in as root it is #, even when I
> do not execute a shell. Usually it was root at machine17#. How do I change it
> back? I have to do pwd instead of just knowing what directory I am in.

The shell used for the root user is different than the shell used for
a regular user, csh is leaner but also meaner than sh in many ways.

Do some research: man csh.

You can also get more examples on the web; google 'freebsd csh set prompt'.

In order to modify your prompt, you need to alter the variable PS1 in
your .cshrc (C-shell startup file, note the starting '.') in your
/root directory. For your regular prompt, look in the .profile file in
/home/myuser.

I will warn you up front: the two shells are quite different. Save a
backup of each of these files before you alter them. If your computer
dumps you into shell mode without booting, having a .profile in /root
is also a good idea. From the emergency shell you can 'source
/home/myuser/.profile'
--
Don Wilde