RealTek 2.5 GbE (RTL8125) support?

Chris Gordon freebsd at theory14.net
Thu Jun 18 23:43:30 UTC 2020

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 10:40 AM, Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com> wrote:
>
> Are RealTek 2.5 GbE NICs () supported?  I don't see RLT8125 parts listed in if_re(4) or if_re.c, and that appears to be the only driver for RealTek gigabit NICs?

I don't know if that specific chipset is supported, but based on experience with re(4) 1 Gbps NICs, I would avoid it like the plague.  I have several home "servers" with on board re(4) NICs (disabled in firmware now, so I can't get the specific chipset).  I would have random connectivity problems such as samba shares randomly disappearing or systems becoming unresponsive over the network, especially during a file transfer (size didn't matter).  While annoying, I never spent the time to get to the bottom of it.  One day I actually paid some attention to /var/log/messages and saw frequent, random link state changes (DOWN then UP) across all of the machines.  From some googling, this seems to be a common issue.  Replaced them all with some Intel em(4) NICs and things have been solid since.

Hope that helps.

Chris