Infinite stupid threads ...

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Wed Jun 17 20:54:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 1:35 PM Dave Hayes <dave at jetcafe.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 13:02:49 -0700
> Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:
> > I do like the fact that sometimes troll-initiated threads get hijacked by
> > thoughtful discourse.
>
> This is the exact reason I like to watch threads and occasionally respond.
>
> Personally, I find the word "troll" overused and meaningless. Only the
> very old
> school know what a -real- troll is.

I'm so old, I fart dust.  My first USENET post was in 1983.

> > Any discussion of etiquette is doomed.
>
> Of course it is. Etiquette is an arbitrary subjective standard,

Respectfully, I beg to differ.  Etiquette is a customary code of polite
behavior.   Consider it, in this context, to be the rules of the game for
discourse, and the analogy is apt – it's hard to play tennis if you don't
agree on the rules.  Therefore rules of etiquette should be few in number,
and easy to remember, and reinforced regularly.  There are cultural and
linguistic and generational divides here, so etiquette helps define the
neutral ground of our colloquy.

--

"Well," Brahmā said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata