Infinite stupid threads ...

Dave Hayes dave at jetcafe.org
Wed Jun 17 20:35:32 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 13:02:49 -0700
Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:
> I do like the fact that sometimes troll-initiated threads get hijacked by
> thoughtful discourse.

This is the exact reason I like to watch threads and occasionally respond.

Personally, I find the word "troll" overused and meaningless. Only the very old
school know what a -real- troll is.

> Any discussion of etiquette is doomed.

Of course it is. Etiquette is an arbitrary subjective standard, and there exists
one set of those standards for each human on the planet. Very few of these sets
are exactly equivalent. Given that it appears it's humanity's nature to
conflict with each other, disagreement about standards is inevitable.

As an example of arbitrary etiquette, I personally find this to be less than
polite:

> > Perhaps I will have to unsubsribe.

Consider that if someone really became fed up with the conversation,
unsubscribing would be done with no word at all. There is really no reason
that I can see to tell others you are unsubscribing; unless you want to attempt
to coerce them into observing arbitrary standards of right posting and wrong
posting ... "or you'll leave".

We would all do a lot better to control ourselves rather than try to control
others. It's a far more reliable methodology.:)
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org

Nasrudin went into a bank with a check to cash. "Can you
identify yourself?"  asked the clerk.

Nasrudin took out a mirror and peered into it. "Yes, that's
me alright."