Why does FreeBSD not use the Linux kernel?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Jun 17 19:57:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 11:33:25 +0800
kindu smith <malaizhichun at tom.com> wrote:

> Why does FreeBSD not use the Linux kernel?

	The most fundamental reason that FreeBSD does not use *any* code
from the Linux kernel is the GPL which is fundamentally incompatible with
the BSD license.

	There was MirosBSD which was BSD userland running on a Linux kernel
but the project has been abandoned for some years.

	Personally I think it is a very good thing that there are several
essentially independent code bases that implement OSs that I'm happy to
consider unix.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>