FreeBSD 12.1 i386 CD #1 image size not compatible with intended medium standard size

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jun 16 21:02:23 UTC 2020

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 16:51:22 -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 22:02:31 +0200, Polytropon commented:

> >> [...]
> You still have not explained why you could not just use an external DVD
> drive.

I thought I made that clear; see the above paragraph,
assuming "external" means USB. :-)

> Amazon is selling them as cheap as $24. If you are really cheap,
> you could just use it once and send it back for a refund.

The PCI card in that machine only has USB 1.0 connectors, and
it is not possible to boot (!) from anything attached there.
In worst case, I have access to an external USB DVD drive,
if I needed, but it wouldn't solve the problem. In such a
case, it would be possible to boot from a regular USB stick,
but as mentioned, it doesn't boot from any USB at all.
Furthermore, even though that card is installed, I didn't
test it yet for FreeBSD support (I only see it in the POST
status screen where the PCI expansion cards are listed).

However, I'm sure I have a DVD drive I could put into the
machine in place of the CD drive; such a drive does exist
around here somewhere, so I could use an installation DVD
(where the "dvd1" image file fits the standard medium).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany