Mailing List Etiquette was freebsd vs. netbsd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jun 16 16:22:34 UTC 2020

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:59:51 -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 17:09:06 +0200, Polytropon commented:
> >Interesting apoach. Do you value presentation more than content?
> >In case of support, personally I would want something that helps
> >me solving my problem, not something that looks good. Sadly, the
> >"looks good" has lead to many technically inferior solutions
> >becoming a de-facto standard, because the better solutions simply
> >"don't look as good".
>
> That reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago pertaining to
> "perceived quality". If you happen to fall off a ship into the ocean, do
> you really care it the life preserve thrown to you is a bright, shinny
> new one, or just one that works?

Form and content should match to fulfill a specific purpose in
a given context. Using the "tool analogy", users should use the
best tools for each job, and use them properly if possible. On
a mailing list, this doesn't just include line wrapping, headers,
quoting indentation or general use of whatever MUA has been
chosen, but also tone and skill in conversation. I'm saying
this as a person who isn't particularly good at either. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany