Mailing List Etiquette was freebsd vs. netbsd

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 13:56:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 9:46 AM Chris Knipe <savage at savage.za.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 3:35 PM Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 9:29 AM Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>>

>> > 1) Not everybody buys the bargain basement item.
>> >
>> > [snip]
>>
>> > 3) In virtually all cases, I never buy the entry level product of any
>> > line. It is almost always the first one to go obsolete and/or not be
>> > supported by its creators.
>> >

>> News for you:
>> 1. Not everyone is made out of money or works for someone who is
>>
>> 2. Some of us have more useful things to do then buying tech we don't need
>> like paying the rent and putting food on our table
>>
>> 3. To deny that the above facts are not true for at least some people is
>> the height of lack of empathy and/or the understanding needed to pick the
>> right defaults for a system that needs to be useful to as many people as
>> possible.
>>

> We are talking about
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/mailing-list-faq/etiquette.html#idp44832888
>
> It would -seem- to me (personally at least), the majority is kept back to
> cater for the minority. As I've said in my initial post, I will use
> whatever MUA I want, and I will send email in whatever standard I deem to
> be acceptable.  It would -seem- to me, that the problem is YOUR choice of
> MUA that cannot decode / display said email correctly, and not mine that is
> not encoding it correctly.

I am not the one complaining about the inability to do anything. I use
gmail directly on the web and never had any of the issues you described.
Please be more careful about actually reading what people said before
making assumptions about them (other people were complaining about the
formatting, I was not, I was only complaining about your attitude).

> If you want to use old / outdated technologies, that is your choice.  I
> know of many, many freelancers having even better hardware than I.  If you
> choose to be stuck in the old age, then so be it.  The majority, can't be
> technologically held back to cater for the minority. If you depend on said
> tech to generate income to pay rent and put food on the table (like all of
> us btw, not just you), common sense would dictate that you'd want to
> continuously improve on said tech to be able to use the latest and greatest
> technologies to woo said clients and get the business in order to get the
> $$$ you need to pay the rent / put food on said table.

I hardly call maintaining the software behind a remote cardiac monitoring
system "low tech" or backwards.  I will call it life critical and that's
why I stay with stuff I *KNOW* is rock solid instead of being the shiniest
thing on the block (dead people don't know or care how new tech is if they
are dead just ask several thousand people who flew on a 737-MAX *ONCE*) .
If you want to woo the kind of client who is impressed by bells and
whistles, be my guest but just do me a favor and keep them away from any
project that might actually affect someone's life/livehood.

No my friend, it is your CHOICE to be stuck in the stone age... In fact,
> the entire tone of your message basically reads "I use old tech, and
> therefore it MUST be supported"....

More like it has been fire tested to hell and back and passes with flying
colors where newer stuff can't always make that claim.