Find out OS version and plattform?

Ede Wolf listac at nebelschwaden.de
Fri Jun 12 09:44:35 UTC 2020

 > Do a more /bin/freebsd-version

Just for information, this does not work, freebsd-version seems to be
too modern:

# find /mnt/ -iname "*freebsd*"
/mnt/etc/mail/freebsd.mc
/mnt/etc/mail/freebsd.cf
/mnt/etc/mail/freebsd.submit.mc
/mnt/etc/mail/freebsd.submit.cf

Side note, this search does not traverse into /usr, which was a seperate
partition (and not mounted here).

Same is therefore true for Polytropons
..src/bin/freebsd-version/freebsd-version.sh.in.

src/sys/conf/newvers.sh is a bit contradicting to what /var/log/messages
is proclaiming:

TYPE="FreeBSD"
REVISION="6.0"
BRANCH="STABLE"
if [ "X${BRANCH_OVERRIDE}" != "X" ]; then
         BRANCH=${BRANCH_OVERRIDE}
fi
RELEASE="${REVISION}-${BRANCH}"
VERSION="${TYPE} ${RELEASE}"

So it looks as if the source has been updated, but world not rebuild.