freebsd vs. netbsd

Kurt Hackenberg kh at panix.com
Thu Jun 11 22:42:15 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-11 11:25, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:

> There's still the issue with line wrapping. Due to the small screens of
> mobile phones and unwillingness to change the orientation of the
> phones, we suffer from the dispute of wrapping lines at around 70 or 80
> chars vs endless lines.
Small screens, small windows on big screens, windows much wider than 80
characters, variable-size windows. That's a real problem, and solved
cleanly, for text in some human languages, by software that
automatically fills and word-wraps text to use whatever width is available.

But it's often done by redefining the ASCII characters carriage return
and line feed. Originally they meant, respectively, move the print head
to the left margin, and roll the paper up a line. Fill-and-wrap software
often redefines the two-character sequence CRLF to mean end of
paragraph. And, of course, nothing in the text tells other software that
those characters have been redefined.

There are solutions for email that don't involve trying to twist a
character set: text/plain format=flowed (RFC 3676), text/enriched, and
an unofficial trick with quoted-printable that I've seen used by
AppleMail. All we have to do is persuade mail readers to implement them,
and people to use them. Easy, right? :-)