tools for building mailserver on freebsd

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 11 04:05:20 UTC 2020

On 6/10/20 9:45 PM, Warren Hua wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to build a mailserver on freebsd, including the full stack
> of webmail, imap, antispam, antivirus, ssl etc.
> I searched and found there were such tools existing, such as mailinabox
> [1], but they work on linux only.
> Do you know if there is a similar solution for freebsd?
>
> thank you.
>
> [1] https://mailinabox.email/

I don't think what I did will help you, but just in case someone comes
across this thread, I'll describe my setup. I have to tell up from it is
laborious. On the other hand, I like what I did.

I set up components I will describe below in FreeBSD jails, a few in
each jail. There are some that just have to be in the same jail. But the
smaller the number of components per jail, the more secure in general
the whole thing will ultimately be. Several components are even living
in jails with different IP than others.

mail itself: dovecot + pigeonhole; postfix

shell jail (yes, I do give people the ability to ssh to the "server")

web jail (and there there are user web directories, r/w for owner in
shell jail, readable to apache, no local user in shell jail can read
other users we directories; through web server only)

webmail with squirrelmail and roundcube

maia for spam filtering - great as it provides per user preferences, web
interface, laborious for sysadmin though; clamav for virus detection;
and some distributed spam databases

databases run separately; postgresql for settings of some of the above;
mysql for maia as storage backend, alas, I never managed to have
postgresql work here... should be something too mysql specific in maia
backend storage part.

There is also mail list server, but I mention it separately, mostly
because I am going to migrate away from mailman 2, so this will change.

I hope, this helps someone.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator