freebsd vs. netbsd

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 8 16:02:00 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-08 10:46, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>>> The most secure… if you dismiss the fact that one of the developer (who
>>> wrote network stack if my memory serves me) was simultaneously receiving
>>> payments from one of three letter agencies for several years.
>>>
>> The OpenBSD crew made major contributions to the FOSS community in SSH
>> and SSH components, but everybody incorporates them so they are now
>> all at the same level.
>
> This is absolute truth for me and I appreciate that fact since forever.

Not only it is absolute truth, but I too was considering OpenBSD the
most secure operating system out there. Till the moment I've learned
that [network stack, or was it IPsec?] programmer was receiving payments
from one of 3 letter agencies some decade before it became known by
everybody. Does not mean any code he wrote for OpenBSD was affected,
being top programmer, he likely was doing unrelated stuff for them, but
realizing that to audit the code written by top programmer is virtually
impossible, I decided for myself to just shy away from OpenBSD. But
everybody can arrive at their educated decisions on their own.

Still with utmost respect to OpenBSD for openSSH and general ultimate
security focused approach,

Valeri

> Valeri
>

>> The main remaining difference is that OpenBSD doesn't turn on
>> _anything_ unless you specifically ask it to.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247