freebsd vs. netbsd

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:40:41 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 9:21 AM Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Disclaimer: majority of systems I have in my list of UNIXes strictly
> speaking can not be called UNIX, as they do not pay loyalties for that name
> to AT&T.

Just as with Java your information on the legal status of Unix is ****WAY
OUT OF DATE***** from wikipedia article on Unix (end of second paragraph)
[you really should stop saying stuff unless you know it to be by objective
fact to be true]:

"In the early 1990s, AT&T sold its rights in Unix to Novell
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell>, which then sold its Unix business
to the Santa Cruz Operation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz_Operation> (SCO) in 1995.[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix#cite_note-4> The UNIX trademark passed
to The Open Group <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Group>, a neutral
industry consortium founded in 1996, which allows the use of the mark for
certified operating systems that comply with the Single UNIX Specification
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification> (SUS). However,
Novell continues to own the Unix copyrights, which the SCO Group, Inc. v.
Novell, Inc. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_Group,_Inc._v._Novell,_Inc.>
court case (2010) confirmed."