Minimal skills

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Jun 5 15:49:31 UTC 2020

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 08:05:33 -0400
Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> Kurt Hackenberg writes:
>
> >  I guess you could start with C, and maybe add C++ later. That's if
> >  you want to learn to program, which is a big project. There's also
> >  an argument that a beginning programmer should learn some newer
> >  language.
>
> 	I am now accepting rhetorical nominations for a useful
> programming language better suited for teaching a beginning programmer
> of at least average intelligence.  At the moment the only other
> candidate is Pascal, <sarcasm>beloved on account of its vast code
> base</sarcasm>.

	Python - it's clean, enforces decent structure, is available
everywhere and provides an interactive environment which is great for
learning and experimenting in. Oh and it *does* have a vast code base and a
lot of active users, online resources up the whazoo not least being the
Raspberry Pi foundation when it comes to beginner programming.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>